Thursday, November 19, 2009

sweet corn casserole

Okay, okay. So much for getting this recipe to you right away. Once again, I got sidetracked...maybe have a little ADD going on??? Gary tells Michael that "sometimes mommy gets sidetracked". I can't deny it. The first step is recognizing I have a problem, right? Anyway, this recipe is super easy (I think ALL of my "go to" recipes are super easy - they HAVE to be with our busy lives).

This dish is so versatile. We had it with the chimichangas (below), but it could also be a tasty side dish at Thanksgiving or maybe you could bring it to your next potluck.


SWEET CORN CASSEROLE


INGREDIENTS

1 stick of butter, melted
8 oz. sour cream
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 eggs
1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
1 can (15 oz) regular corn, drained


DIRECTIONS

Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees in a greased (Pam-sprayed) 9”x13” pan for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I have had to add an additional 20 minutes to make sure it was cooked all the way through on the inside...just depends on how "saucy" your mix ends up being...perhaps I didn't drain the one can of corn enough or maybe I put in more than 8 oz of sour cream??

In real life, sometimes I get lazy or cocky (heh-heh-heh, did I just say "cocky"?? OMG I've watched too much Beavis and Butthead) and just toss in guesstimates of ingredients and end up having to change some things around...but that's okay. That's how you make it your own and sometimes end up with something even better.

I hope you still try to make this yummy dish. It's a nice change of pace, and in my mind I consider it healthy because it's made with corn. Obviously, I'm in total denial about the entire stick of butter.

2 comments:

Juli P said...

my mom used to make something just like this, she would add a can of diced green chiles with it. it is sooo good. everything is better with a stick of butter (and bacon).

Val said...

Juli, that sounds good! And it would truly make it perfect as a mexican side dish and change it up.

PS: mmmmm, bacon (channeling Homer Simpson)