Tuesday, November 10, 2009

chicken chimichangas

The other day, I was talking to my friend, Sharon, about dinner ideas and she passed along a deli-c-o-so Mexican dish (my gosh we eat a LOT of Mexican foods...I never noticed that until I started writing this blog). Anyway, this was so super easy and very flavorful (and better for you since they are not fried). We modified it a bit to suit our taste buds and I tried to use what we had in the cupboard. Feel free to do the same for your family too.


CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS

INGREDIENTS

3 c. shredded chicken (easiest and most flavorful is to use half of a rotisserie chicken!)
4 c. fiesta blend shredded cheese or monterey jack (we love cheese)
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
8 (10-12") flour tortillas (get the good kind: either Mission or La Banderita brands...they are nice and thick, which means they won't crumble or tear when you are folding/rolling)
salsa
sour cream

DIRECTIONS

Mix together chicken, 2 cups cheese (save the other 2 cups for the topping), oregano, cumin, garlic, green chiles. Spread a spoonful or two of the black beans on the tortilla. Next, add a spoonful or two of the chicken mixture on the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up (fold the sides in first, then roll from bottom to top) and place seam side down in a 9x13 pan that's been sprayed with Pam (or similar). Top chimichangas with remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.


Top with salsa and sour cream. Tastes great with sweet corn casserole (I'll post that recipe next) or chips and salsa or small salad.


Thanks for sharing this recipe Sharon. It's already become one of our favorites!

No comments: