Monday, September 1, 2008

mexican lasagna

This recipe is adapted and tweaked from a recipe I found on Pioneer Woman (Pastor Ryan's Mexican Lasagna). This creation will make 2 - 9x13 casseroles...one to eat now and one you can freeze for those crazy, busy nights when don't have time or you don't have the energy to cook dinner (you know you have those nights...we all do). And if I am honest with myself, it happens to me 4-5 nights out of the week.

mexican lasagna


INGREDIENTS

2 cups unprepared instant rice
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tomatoes, diced (I didn’t have fresh toms, so I used ½ a can of petite diced tomatoes)
1 onion, diced (G doesn’t care for onions, so I only used ½ an onion)
4 cloves garlic
2 pounds lean ground beef
8 cups Mexican blend cheese
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of black beans
2 – 16 oz. jars of Salsa Verde (I used Ortega’s green taco sauce)
1 can of enchilada sauce
2 ½ TBSP chili powder
2 ½ TBSP paprika
2 ½ TBSP cumin
1-2 TBSP of butter
3 ounces water
1 pkg flour tortillas (approx 12 small or 8 medium)

TOPPINGS

sour cream
cilantro (we didn’t use, because I don’t like it)
green olives (G’s topping, not mine)


DIRECTIONS

Begin by preparing rice using the chicken broth. In a large pan, sauté with a tablespoon or two of butter, the diced onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Add 1 TBSP of chili powder, 1 TBSP of paprika, and 1 TBSP of cumin. Stir until nicely combined. Next, stir in the black beans. Then, mix the rice together with the tomato/onion/garlic/bean mixture.

Brown the ground beef and drain. Add 1 ½ TBSP chili powder, 1 ½ TBSP paprika, and 1 ½ TBSP cumin with about 3 ounces of water to the beef, creating your own taco beef.

Pour half a jar of salsa verde in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Layer on tortillas to cover the salsa verde. Some overlapping is expected. Divide rice/bean mixture into 4 (2 layers for each casserole) and spread a layer over the tortillas. Next, layer 2 cups of cheese. Add another layer of tortillas on top of the cheese layer. Pour ½ can of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and spread it out evenly. Divide ground beef in half (one for each casserole) and add a layer over the enchilada sauce. Add ½ a can of corn as the next layer, followed by another layer of rice/beans and the remaining ½ jar of salsa verde, on top of which you will add 2 cups of cheese to the top…this is the final layer of ingredients.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes until cheese has melted and begins to brown a bit.

Top with dollop of sour cream, olives, cilantro, or whatever else sounds good to you.

Enjoy!


Note: Repeat layering with 2nd casserole, do not bake, cover with foil and place in freezer. I write the cooking directions on the foil because I’ll never remember how to cook it a month from now or in case G wants to get dinner ready w/o me. Thaw, remove foil, and bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes should suffice.

No comments: