Wednesday, August 20, 2008

therapy...the fun way

I took Michael to Autumn Rose Farm for his first horseback riding lesson (also called Hippotherapy). His trainer was Ashley, who worked really well with him. The first few lessons will be to get him used to a horse and to strengthen his balance. Actually, the first part was trying to get him okay with wearing a helmet...he wanted nothing to do with that in the beginning.

He seemed to do pretty well when the horse was walking around the corral/arena, so she had the horse go a little faster. I could hear Michael making some happy noises and I could see him smiling when they passed by me.

So she had the horse go even faster...kind of looked like a trot to me, not really galloping...but what do I know about horses? Nada. Anyhow...it was a pretty good clip. By then, Michael's poor little head was bouncing all around.

After riding around for 20 minutes or so at these 3 various paces, Michael signed all done and was starting to pout a little bit. I think we'll try it again some time soon to see if he really likes it.


I'm sure his horse, Utah, wouldn't mind at all.

No comments: