Tuesday, August 12, 2008

buzz boy

It's time for Michael to get his haircut. Once he is able to twirl his hair around his finger, it's cuttin' time. He has had his finger stuck in his hair by twirling too much. He has also pulled a little section of his hair out by twirling while watching golf...he got so excited, arms went up, and the hair wrapped around his finger went with it. Anyhow, today was the day.

It is never a fun thing to cut his hair. Lots of boo-hooing, covering his ears (those clippers are loud), signing all done, and trying to get away.

As I was preparing for the big event, I made a pile at the top of the stairs: clippers, check; towel, check; Mickey Mouse on DVR for distraction, check. I left said pile and started a bath for the hair flying aftermath. That was when I heard it. The clanging and banging. There went the pile of stuff down the stairs. I should have known better. That is one of Michael's favorite things to do...throw/roll things down the stairs. The clippers didn't make it through the event, they broke into 3 pieces.

I hunt down G's trimmer and set the dial to what I guess is the appropriate number and length. Michael wouldn't let me get a test strip and I would have to be quick about the whole cutting/buzzing thing lest there be an all out war in our house. So my first pass on his head was right down the middle. Uh-oh....it's short. Really short. Crap. And it's not like I could readjust the number and have him struttin' around with...with...what would be the opposite of a mohawk? A no-hawk??

As I continued cutting his hair, I rationalized the butchering that was taking place:

  • it's still summertime and this will keep him cool
  • it'll be the perfect length when school pictures roll around in September
  • he won't have to suffer through another haircut for quite awhile
  • it was his fault for breaking the clippers...probably on purpose too (it couldn't have been my fault for leaving them out)
  • it is waaay easier to style
  • he definitely won't be able to twirl his hair
  • he looks pretty darn spiffy with short hair

So by the time I finished cutting his hair, I wasn't feeling guilty at all and thought it turned out fine......very short, but fine.

Just look at those red-rimmed eyes and sad face. Poor buzz boy. I promise to do better next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think You have found your new career!!!!

See you soon! we will do dinner! Kath