Monday, March 26, 2012

French-Toasted Angel Food Cake


I found this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens (bgh.com) and made it this weekend. It was so good! What I loved about this recipe is: how easy it was to make, it was delicious, it satisfied my sweet tooth and there are a crazy amount of ways you can customize this for your family. I made ours with strawberries and powdered sugar.

But the part I loved most? It was my excuse to have cake for breakfast (part of any balanced, nutritious meal plan)!!  :)


French-Toasted Angel Food Cake


ingredients
  • 1 7 - 8 inch angel food cake (ours was store-bought)
  • 6 eggs, slightly beaten (we used egg-beaters...you know, to make it "healthier")
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (We used skim milk...again, with the "healthy" thing)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (we used 1 tablespoon)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon butter (non-fat spray stuff was used instead of butter)
  • Whipped cream or creme fraiche (we didn't have any on hand)
  • Maple syrup (we did powdered sugar instead of syrup)
  • Cut-up fresh strawberries (ours were frozen...would've been better if they were fresh though)
directions
Slice the angel food cake into 10 to 12, 1-inch thick wedges. In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk, sugar; and vanilla. Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side. In a nonstick skillet or on a nonstick griddle melt butter over medium heat. Cook 4 wedges at a time for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. To serve, stand slices in cake formation. Top with whipped cream or creme fraiche. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with strawberries. Serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 servings.


            If you make this or a version like it, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Kerry - Handmade Success said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try this!

Val said...

Yay! I hope you like it too. Thanks for stopping by! :)