Wednesday, July 15, 2009

feeling so sad and blue

Because of the power of the internet, I have been able to reconnect with some of my long lost high school pals (thank you Facebook). Many, if not most, I haven't seen or talked to since high school some 20-something years ago. One of my friends, Sarah, has a blog that I read to see what she's been up to...nothing unusual there, as I have this little ole blog for friends to do the same thing. Anyway, Sarah and her husband Matt have a little boy named Ben who was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma at age 2-1/2...and just 6 weeks before she gave before she gave birth to her 2nd child, daughter Madeline. Neuroblastoma is a very aggressive form of childhood cancer. Ben fought this cancer for a little more than 1-1/2 years with every drug, chemo cocktail, radiation treatment available before being declared "NED" - No Evidence of Disease.

Fast forward to July 8th and it's been 4 years that Ben has been "NED". However, during his 6-month routine scan they found a mass in Ben’s chest behind his heart and he needed a biopsy, which the doctor did the next evening. Three agonizing days later, the pathology results confirmed a recurrence of this awful disease.


I made a donation to the "Ben Brewer Fight Neuroblastoma Fund" page, which sends the funds directly to their family. The website includes photos, their story, and information about Neuroblastoma. I hope that many will donate... you can use PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, AmEx & Discover. Please open your hearts to this wonderful family! You can read more about Ben and his family (Sarah, Matt, and Madeline) here and here. Happy, hopeful thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated too.

No comments: